[LMB] Just read... _The Obesity Myth_

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Wed Apr 8 18:07:53 BST 2009

Azalais Aranxta wrote:

> Then why are so many models and actresses on drugs?  Why do so
> many of them have eating disorders?  Certainly some of those
> women are naturally skinny, but a lot of them aren't.

And actors and athletes.
> What kind of society makes "being f*ckable" an obligation for all
> females over the apparent age of 12 and under the apparent age of
> 65?

Biology says we must reproduce.   We have moved into an environment that
this should no longer apply to every individual - we can be more like
ants, and have individuals who work for their greater family (humans),
rather than their own genes.    But such mores change very slowly.

We can see it changing - particularly in that we don't condemn being an
"old maid" as much, we don't praise large families so much (we actually
are more likely to condemn those), and we are more accepting of
alternatives to marriage.   But as I said, it's a slow process.

And society shouldn't be singular in your quote - go to any primitive
society and observe the same characteristics.   It's advanced societies
which are slowly changing first.