[LMB] OT: Clothing the Skinny Kid (was: Just read... _The Obesity Myth_)

Elizabeth McCoy arcangel at io.com
Wed Apr 8 18:14:08 BST 2009

At 9:52 AM -0700 4/8/09, Azalais Aranxta wrote:
>On Wed, 8 Apr 2009, Elizabeth McCoy wrote:
[...]
>> We have a couple pairs of suspenders for her, actually [...]
>
>This really seems like the sort of situation denim
>jumper/pinafore dresses would be most helpful with.  Clothes that
>fall from the shoulder may be harder to find, but they should be
>easier to keep on.

Considering all the running around she does on the playground -- this is
a pants kid. She's got a couple skirts, but doesn't wear them preferentially
to the slacks, and I don't really want to have to do double-laundry putting
shorts on her with dresses (though shorts at least don't have the problem
of being clearly too-short) so that she doesn't give the playground panty-
shots. (Or the classroom, considering how she'll put her feet up on the
edge of her chair when reading, oblivious to where the hem of her skirt
is.)

(Dresses also interfere with putting on snow pants, as she found when she
wore one of her two fancy-dresses to school for a photo-day.)

Jumpsuits might be a possibility, but... I haven't seen a jumpsuit for a
kid for *ages*, and am dubious that there are affordable ones around...
(She's still growing; affordable and convenient are my watchwords till
she's old enough not to outgrow something in 6-12 months.)

In summer, I can stick her in skorts and shorts, of course -- some of them
with numbers less than half her age on the tag. (I *think* the 3T shorts
no longer fit her, but I wouldn't be overly surprised if they still worked.)
But the temp outside is still being pretty bitter.

Thanks for the thought, though!
--
--Beth, arcangel at io.com     http://www.io.com/~arcangel/