[LMB] Just read... _The Obesity Myth_

BJ van Look vanlook at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 9 20:51:58 BST 2009

--- On Thu, 4/9/09, Harimad <harimad2001 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> To answer your question: yes.  BJ's life expectancy,
> holding all other factors equal, is significantly greater
> than someone of his height and weight but fat.

The greatest danger for me, being my father's daughter :)... is cardiovascular disease and diabetes. Which I aim to thwart if at all possible, by hitting people with swords[a] two to three times a week, doing cardio 6 days a week [b], and lifting weights three days a week [c].

> Research in the past couple of decades show it's
> anything but.  The news today is that there's bad fats
> (especially tummy fat) and now there's a good fat[1] -
> the sort that keeps babies warm.[2]

I learned that some moms, worried about their babies being "too fat" cut the fat out and injured the child's brain development. Apparently roly-poly babies are good. :)  I wonder how late in childhood development that applies....?

[a] I loves me the SCA
[b] I loves me that elliptical, too
[c] It's amazing what you can lift if you don't know how heavy it is. Because, like JK Rowling [d], maths are not my subject, and I forgot to double the numbers because the bar had weights on *each end*. Rather than leg pressing 105, I did 210. I got tired so *quickly* I didn't understand why... :)
[d]"Oh dear...maths"
BJ