[LMB] The Bastard: Help me with my homework!

Jim Parish jparish at siue.edu
Sun Apr 12 22:17:13 BST 2009

Marna Nightingale wrote:
> So, Bastard Gods, what do we think of them?

Just a stray thought: a significant fraction of the Greek pantheon were
bastards; the products of Zeus's tomcatting included Persephone,
Apollo, Artemis, Hermes, Aphrodite (according to some legends), and -
most to the point - Dionysus. You might compare Chalion's Bastard to
that last (and perhaps also to Hermes). (Another possible point of
similarity: Hamilton asserts that Dionysus was the only god born of a
god and a mortal. I assume she's not counting demi-gods like Heracles
who were taken into Olympus after their deaths.)

Jim Parish