[LMB] The Bastard: Help me with my homework!

Paula Lieberman paal at gis.net
Mon Apr 13 03:36:23 BST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tony Zbaraschuk" <tonyz at eskimo.com>
To: "Discussion of the works of Lois McMaster Bujold."
<lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk>
Sent: Sunday, April 12, 2009 5:21 PM
Subject: Re: [LMB] The Bastard: Help me with my homework!

> On Sun, Apr 12, 2009 at 05:02:59PM -0400, Marna Nightingale wrote:
>> This is one of my WisCon Panels:
>>
>> Not Exactly What We Expected: Bastard Gods in Chalion, Terre d'Ange, and
>> Elsewhere: Sun 4:00 - 5:29
>>
>> I have some ideas of my own and all, but it seemed a good excuse for an
>> on topic or mostly on topic  discussion.
>>
>> So, Bastard Gods, what do we think of them?
>
> The term implies parentage, specifically an irregularity of same, and
> also a regularity it can be set against.  (If everybody is a b*stard,
> nobody is.)  So what do the Parent, the Official Co-Parent, and the
> Actual Co-Parent have to say to each other about the situation?  For
> that matter, how did they get into the situation to start with?
>

> Tony Zbaraschuk

What's meant by "bastard gods" though?  In some of Jo Clayton;s work, there
is a hermaphroditic god, Tunjgit or some such, who is something of a
trickster, but a jolly one and minor as regards the trickster aspect when it
gets outside of the gender ambiguity range..   There are gender-changing
trickster gods, such as Loki.  I can't remember if Coyote, another trickster
god, is a genderbender or not.   David Weber's fantasy novels have one of
the Lawful gods being the product of an extramarital relationship.