[LMB] Favourite quote

Harimad harimad2001 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 16 17:47:07 BST 2009

> Tony wrote:
> It seems to me that many of us (myself included) are
> using "favorite quote"more or less as "identifying moment
> for favorite story."
>
> What quote best stands on its own?  What could you best use
> as a bumper sticker or T-shirt slogan (or submit to
> _Bartlett's_, if it came to that)? I'd probably have to go
> with "All true wealth is biological."

I've gotten a surprising amount of mileage out of "Educated is what you are going out, not coming in."  As someone with two graduate degrees and was graduated from really-big-name universities (this is not bragging, I promise, it's relevant, just keep reading), I encounter a lot of people who feel intimidated by the mere thought of going to a big-name university and who come to me for, I presume, reassurance.

Another is the description of what integrity is.  The quote itself isn't quite right, but that integrity is doing/saying/being the same in private as well as public.

Don't raise the pressure, lower the wall.  (AKA entice, don't coerce.)

Don't give yourself to the enemy.  (The exact quote eludes me right now.)

- Harimad