[LMB] Favourite quote

Lois McMaster Bujold lbujold at myinfmail.com
Thu Apr 16 19:08:13 BST 2009

[LMB] Favourite quote
Jasini jasinikc at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 17:47:43 BST 2009

Elizabeth Holden wrote:
 > But the first one I thought of - too long for a bumper sticker - is
right up there too, and closely associated with the above.  Also from
Memory:

 > "What are you doing?" the Countess asked. "We heard a lot of
footsteps, and a thump through the ceiling...."

 > He fought to keep his words even. "Just... wrestling with temptation."
 >
 > Illyan's voice came back, amused. "Who's winning?"
 >
 > Miles's eyes followed the cracks in the plaster, overhead.  His voice
came out high and light, on a sigh: "I think... I'm going for the best
two falls out of three."

 > namaste,
 > Elizabeth

I always thought Miles underestimated himself here. Once he realized it
was a bribe, there was no danger of him taking it.

Of course, the real danger was him not realizing it was a bribe until
six months down the road, when the damage would be to great for him to undo.

--
Jasini

***  A variant on that theme, and the one he fell to in his mind at that
moment, is of course, "Yes. I know it's a bribe, but I'll take it now
and fix it later."

"Fix it later" having so often worked so well before...

Ta, L.