[LMB] Worst Bujold Villain

B. Ross Ashley redlion at sff.net
Sat Apr 18 04:26:05 BST 2009

On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 21:22:49 -0400, "Paula Lieberman" <paal at gis.net>
wrote:

> Decades ago, there the communist dictator Sukarno ruled Indonesia as
> a communist dictatorship.  Then one someone by the name of Suharto who
> I think was a general, led a bloody coup, that mostly overnight and the
> next half a year turned the 100,000 members of the ruling Communist Party
> in Indonesia, into corpses.  Suharto took over the government, and with the
> communists out of power mostly because they were mostly dead, the Communist
> Party of Indonesia and its former control of the country, were gone.

Sukarno was not a Communist of any description, Paula, just a left nationalist who had the support of the KPI. He had led the five-year fight against the Dutch after the Japanese occupation was over.

See the Wikipedia article on him for further reading ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sukarno It was a vastly more complicated situation than you put forward.

--
B. Ross Ashley http://brashley46.livejournal.com http://brashley46.no-ip.info
"It would be too painful to think that there are worlds somewhere