[LMB] LQ #57: worst Bujold villain

JenL jenl1625 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 17:27:52 BST 2009

There do seem to be a lot of "naturopathic" websites pushing the notion that
medicines do more harm than good (and they claimed much higher numbers of
annual deaths due to medications) - but just with a quick click-through, I
didn't see any that gave or linked to any data at all.
On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 12:02 PM, Howard Brazee <howard at brazee.net> wrote:

>  JenL wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 11:15 AM, Howard Brazee <howard at brazee.net>
> wrote:
> >

> >> I heard on the radio that the #3 killer in the U.S. is properly
> >> prescribed and properly administered drugs.   I know that the side
> >> effects of drugs I take for my heart do bad things to my health.
> >> Sometimes it is tough to make a value judgment to decide whether the
> >> harm a drug does is worth the benefit it gives.
> >>

> > Really?  That seems wrong.  Like maybe people who are taking the drugs
> die
> > despite taking drugs they hope will control their condition....?
> >
> > There's a page here that has adverse reactions to prescription drugs as
> > number 7 cause of death in 2000 - http://drugwarfacts.org/cms/?q=node/30
> .
> >
> > jen
> >
> That is more usable than an "I heard on the radio".
>
> I suppose there is considerable room for wiggle room.   Many times a
> death has many contributors.   For instance, when someone crashes his
> car, how much of that death is attributed to a sinus medicine?   Or when
> someone gets run down by a car, how much of that death is attributed to
> arthritis slowing one down?
>  --

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.