[LMB] OT: e-book reader comparison

Jeff Shultz jeffshultz at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 00:49:53 BST 2009

I just wish they'd put the PDA functionality in the E-book Readers - I
admittedly would like a bigger screen for everything. Keep it so it
fits in a cargo pocket and it would be darn close to perfect.

I look at the Kindle2 and sigh for what it isn't capable of.

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 4:26 PM, Ed Burkhead <ed at edburkhead.com> wrote:

> Jeff Shultz asked:
>> I have to wonder how those stack up against a Palm Tungsten T/X (~$270
>> new at Amazon,
>
> A definite size versus carrying convenience trade-off.
>
> Several years ago, I used a Pocket PC based Ipaq.  I did read one entire
> novel on it but it sure required a bunch of screen flips and I felt some
> presbyopia-related eye strain, something I don't get from the current crop
> of electronic ink dedicated readers.
>
> The area difference between a 3.8" (diagonal) screen and a 6" screen does, I
> think, make an important difference to me in reading comfort.  (i.e. about 7
> square inches versus 16.6 square inches)
>
> On the other hand, the convenience of putting the smaller device in a pocket
> has lots of value, not to mention that the Palm and Ipaq have lots of other
> abilities.
>
> Either type lets you read e-books.  Me, I'm glad to use the medium screen
> (6") e-book reader in spite of the increased nuisance value of carrying it
> around and dropping it.
>
> And, due to the reading glasses required by presbyopia, I find that the
> larger type makes e-book reading MUCH more comfortable than paperback
> reading.  And, the e-book costs tends to be WAY lower than hardbound books.
>
> I made my change a year and a half ago and don't plan to go back.
>
> Ed

Jeff Shultz
http://www.shultzinfosystems.com