[LMB] Just watched...

Raye Johnsen raye_j at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 22 04:22:36 BST 2009

--- On Tue, 4/21/09, Lois McMaster Bujold <lbujold at myinfmail.com> wrote:

> From: Lois McMaster Bujold <lbujold at myinfmail.com>
> Subject: [LMB]  Just watched...
> To: "lois- >> Bujold chat list" <lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk>
> Date: Tuesday, April 21, 2009, 11:04 PM
> [LMB] Just watched...
> Karen L. Black karen at plamondon.com
> Tue Apr 21 22:17:57 BST 2009
>

> On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 10:54 PM, Lois McMaster Bujold <
> lbujold at myinfmail.com> wrote:
>
>  > _Papkrika_.  Another fine anime from director Satoshi
> Kon. ...
>
> Take a look at "Paranoia Agent," Kon's
> six-episode series. It is an odd,
> dark show. After watching it once, I watched it again with
> an entirely
> different perspective -- sort of like rereading "Nine
> Princes in Amber."
>

> *** How dark of a dark?  I don't mind if it's dark
> along the way in
> spots, but would prefer a non-nihilistic ending...?

I wouldn't call it *dark*, per se... basically, there's this mysterious figure called 'Shonen Bat' running around Tokyo mugging people.  Nobody can find him and all the victims agree he's a ten-to-twelve year old boy on rollerblades whose weapon of choice is a baseball bat.

Interestingly, everyone he hits is under a lot of stress and is at a psychological turning point, and being assaulted by Shonen Bat actually *helps*.  (Except of course the suicidal trio in 'Happy Family Planning', but, well, he *runs away* from them.  In one of the funniest scenes I've ever seen.  "COME BACK HERE AND KILL US!")

It's a very thinky series, is PA.

Raye

raye_j at yahoo.com
http://windtear.livejournal.com
http://www.thejohnsens.com/index.html

I believe in dragons, unicorns, good men
and other mythical creatures.