[LMB] LQ #57: worst Bujold villain

Claire Nollet cnollet at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 19:48:16 BST 2009

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 11:15 AM, Howard Brazee <howard at brazee.net> wrote:

> I heard on the radio that the #3 killer in the U.S. is properly
> prescribed and properly administered drugs.   I know that the side
> effects of drugs I take for my heart do bad things to my health.
> Sometimes it is tough to make a value judgment to decide whether the
> harm a drug does is worth the benefit it gives.

Whenever my doc tries to prescribe me a drug, I ask her how long the drug's
been on the market.  If it's been around for less than 5-10 years, I tell
her to prescribe me something else.

I don't want to be in the beta testing group that discovers that the drug
damages your heart valves or something like that.  I think most drug
companies try to do a good job of testing most of the time, but there's a
fairly decent chance that some big side effect is going to slip by them,
because most testing seems to be on only a few thousand individuals for a
short period of time.

How many drugs have we heard about that cause suicidal thoughts, or valve
disease, or liver failure?  And it seems to take about 2-4 years for the bad
side effects to be documented and the warnings to go out.

I won't take any prescription drug that hasn't been in commercial
circulation for at least 5 years.  (Although I'd probably change my mind if
I had some otherwise untreatable condition and some experimental drug was my
only shot at survival.)