[LMB] AKICOTL: Fathers and daughters in SF&F

Paula Lieberman paal at gis.net
Fri Apr 24 17:53:04 BST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tony Zbaraschuk" <tonyz at eskimo.com>
To: "Discussion of the works of Lois McMaster Bujold."
<lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk>
Sent: Friday, April 24, 2009 10:50 AM
Subject: Re: [LMB] AKICOTL: Fathers and daughters in SF&F

> On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 08:54:01AM -0400, Paula Lieberman wrote:
>> > _First Test_, _Page_, _Squire_ and _Lady Knight_ by Tamora Pierce -
>> > relationship with parents is mostly off stage, but affection, trust and
>> > support obvious between parents and daughter.
>> >
>> > _Tricker's Choice_ and _Trickster's Queen_ by Tamora Pierce - daughter
>> > has
>> > very good relationship with father, as they have a lot in common.
>>
>> The Song of the Lioness by Pierce--neglectful father--not abusive, but
>> not
>> paying much attention, either....
>
> This is _extremely_ common in books about children or YA types having
> adventures -- if the parents are actively taking care of things,
> there's not much _for_ the kids to do.

Diane Duane's Wizard books, the protagonists have parents who are not
neglectful or abusive.
For that matter, Patricia Wrede's books the parents tend to not be
abusive--I'm blanking on titles, but e.g.
- the book published by Tor in which the female lead goes to a city to
retrieve the possessions of her dead mother, I think that the father was at
home minding the family.  The story was about the daughter's adventures in
trying to retrieve her mother's ring
- the book in which the female lead gets kidnapped early on, she's met with
her family and the family is a mentally healthy one.  The author said that
she had to rewrite the book because she realized that the daughter would NOT
willingly have gone to where she had to get to, she was a dutiful
responsible daughter and given her choice would have stayed home and not
gone haring off into adventure.
- Caught in Crystal, the father is deceased, but the mother takes her two
children along because they're her responsibilities and they want to come
along--there isn't really much alternative.