[LMB] AKICOTL: Fathers and daughters in SF&F

Katrina Allis k.m.allis at gmail.com
Sat Apr 25 02:17:50 BST 2009

2009/4/25 Paula Lieberman <paal at gis.net>

<various snippage for length>

> > _First Test_, _Page_, _Squire_ and _Lady Knight_ by Tamora Pierce -
> > relationship with parents is mostly off stage, but affection, trust and
> > support obvious between parents and daughter.
> >
> > _Tricker's Choice_ and _Trickster's Queen_ by Tamora Pierce - daughter
> has
> > very good relationship with father, as they have a lot in common.
>

> The Song of the Lioness by Pierce--neglectful father--not abusive, but not
> paying much attention, either....

Which is why that quartet didn't make my list - distinct lack of positive
relationship there.  I note that the _Song of the Lioness_ quartet was some
of Pierce's earlier work and that *in general*, positive familial
relationships have been part of maybe half of her books since then.

The main reason I mentioned _Dragonhaven_ by McKinley and
_Covenants_/_Kings  Own_ by Freeman is that, particularly in the case of
_Dragonhaven_, the father/son relationship is a very good one and even
allowing for the fact that good father/son relationships are much more
common in science-fiction and fantasy than good father/daughter
relationships, positive relationships between parents and children are not
particularly usual in science-fiction and fantasy and I thought they were
worth mentioning.

I do, however, take your point and concede regarding those two books.

<further snippage> When the subject of a panel is daughters and
> fathers, going into fathers and sons, is like talking about women in
> Ancient
> Athens by instead discussing relationships between men in Athens--the
> latter
> something that has gotten 99% of the attention.  Women were completely
> marginalized in Athens and there are tens of thousands of books focusing on
> Athenian males, and many fewer (and a whole lot less primary
> documentation...) about women's relationships in Athens.

True enough.  But given that there is so much more primary source text about
men and their relationships in Athens, one has to extrapolate about how
women interacted from what primary source text is available.  Speaking from
my personal experience, when I did my degree most of my courses that covered
Athens at least mentioned and in some cases focused on women in Athens and
ancient Greece, working from what sources were available.

Katrina