[LMB] OT: phrases to hate

Thomas Vinson t.vinson at sbcglobal.net
Sat Apr 25 21:33:35 BST 2009

I'm in the middle of reading Iain Banks's _Feersum Endjinn_".
(It works fairly well if you subvocalise, as I often do.*)

There's this bit where Bascule talks about his "weerd wirin
in mi brane so I cant spel  rite", and mentions the state
of the art in spellchecking:  "Iss not a problim cos u can
put eny old rubish thru practikly anyfin evin a chile's
toy & get it 2 cum out speld perfictly...& evin improvd
2 thi poynt whare yood fink u waz Bill bleedin Shaikspir
by thi langwidje."  The image of Shakesper/Shakespeare/
/Shakespear/.../ as a spelling exemplar requires almost
as much WSOD as the idea of a perfect spelling/grammar
checker.

Tom

* Much easier going than Riddley Walker.