[LMB] OT: MIT student discovers filk

Paula Lieberman paal at gis.net
Mon Apr 27 01:09:28 BST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: <adkinslawfirm at mindspring.com>
To: "lmb-list" <lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk>
Sent: Sunday, April 26, 2009 2:51 PM
Subject: [LMB] OT: MIT student discovers filk

>I thought some of y'all might find this interesting [hi, Paula!]:

I was at the meeting she was at I think...

(And Adam, and Dr Whom who before relocation to Philly due to job offer
there and not here, also have been MASSFILC attendees...)

> http://www.mitadmissions.org/topics/life/music_the_arts/singing_with_a_local_filk_grou.shtml
>
> They mention lots of excellent songs, but forgot Tom Smith's classic
> Bujold filk "Falling Free".  It's a fun article, though.

Not everything gets sung all the time....

> To bring this back on-topic, would anyone care to speculate about
> Barrayaran bluegrass?  Perhaps a Quaddie oompah band?  We know they've got
> the drums.

EUWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just for that...

Rabbits have no tails at all,
Tails at all
Tails at all
Rabbits have not tails at all
Just a cotton puff!

Same line,
Next verse
Never gets better,
Never gets worse!

Rabbits have no tails at all,
Tails at all
Tails at all
Rabbits have not tails at all
Just a cotton puff!

(repeat until people run screaming out of the room....)

That  was the MITSFS Adjournment Song.
MASSFILC attendees have included at least six or seven people who studied at
MIT, including Spencer Love (who didn't graduate).  Out of the area filkers
who went to MIT include Filthy Pierre who was responsible for all sorts of
fannish filking things, also went to MIT.... Jordin Kare and  Mitchell
Burnside-Clapp... way disproporationate number of filkers spent time at MIT.