[LMB] back ontopic MIT student discovers filk

Marilyn Traber mtraber251 at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 27 13:30:43 BST 2009

Barrayar would have bluegrass only in the musical tradition they brought
with them  - as a *very* minor component.

American bluegrass is deriven from Child Ballads brought over by the
population that settled in the mountains of Appalachia [mainly irish and
scotts with a salting of english] It existed fairly unchanged in basic
style until the early 1900s when people started moving out, and radio
came on the scene.

If you really want to hear no sh!t original appalachian ballads, try
surfing over to Smithsonian Folkways records, and getting Harry Smiths
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthology_of_American_Folk_Music

They also have lots of records available from the Folkways Collection. A
fantastic 24 cast podcast about it is available
http://www.folkways.si.edu/explore_folkways/podcasts.aspx that is one of
my favorite listens because they include the entire song that they are
talking about.

Now the modern bluegrass is fairly different when it starts blending in
rock, soul, jazz, western, country [and yes country and western are 2
different genres in the beginning ...]

<gimps off the soapbox and heads off to emusic.com to see if they have
any new folkways discs available that I dont yet have>