[LMB] OT: War and Peace and speed reading

Andrew Lambdin-Abraham a.abraham at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 05:14:49 BST 2009

Hi, I'm trying to be back.  Some of y'all will remember me, most
probably don't.

On Apr 27, 2009, at 9:02 PM, Ed Burkhead wrote:

> I do not want to assert that Russians are, as a people, clinically
> depressed
> - just that the "fine literature" selected by professors tends that
> way.
> Lots of very good literature, but depressing.
>
> (But, it seems to me, that American "fine literature" as selected by
> professors also tends that way - certainly so compared to the stuff I
> *choose* to read.)

I recall making the argument in my AP American Literature class that
the curriculum was clearly designed to be so depressing we dropped out
and stopped being a burden on the system.  It does seem that
literature is associated with dark and painful topics.  Perhaps that's
a reflection of "happy families are all alike"[1] and the desire to
look at something different but still universal.

Andrew

[1] Leaving aside the validity of that, and Oh Snap, it was from
literature.  It's a logical circle.