[LMB] OT: new advance in e-book reader tech?

A. Sasha Wagner-Adamo acswagner at bellsouth.net
Thu Apr 30 17:05:22 BST 2009

On 30 Apr 2009 at 15:14, Tora K. Smulders-Srinivasan wrote:
> Apparently, this is an amazing advance in "e-paper" -- Electrofluidic
> Display Technology
> http://www.uc.edu/news/NR.aspx?id=10068
> Maybe e-paper & e-book readers will soon be at the level of "visual
> brilliance" of printed stuff?

After owning a Sony 505 for about three months, I have to say the
technology is already there.  Matter of fact, the clarity and
adjustable size is already better than the printed stuff.  I recently
started reading a pb and was really taken aback by how tiny the
type was, and how the ink ended up on my hands and how
annoying it was to have to hold it open without cracking the spine
so far as to make the pages fall out.

For browsing/flipping to a particular scene a paperback is still more
convenient, but as far as 'visual brilliance' is concerned, e-ink has it
covered. :)

Sasha