[LMB] OT: new advance in e-book reader tech?

Ed Burkhead ed at edburkhead.com
Thu Apr 30 17:29:57 BST 2009

Elizabeth asked about the new screen technology:
> How is that different from what we have now?

With the current technology, the screen's background has about a 40%-60%
reflectance.  Compare that to 90% for normal white paper, 30%-35% for
Caucasian skin and 18% for medium African-American skin (which may be quite
different from African skin in Africa).

The contrast between the screen background and the black of the letters give
you readability.

Presumably, the new technology will have better whiteness (reflectance) of
the background as well as enabling color.

On my Sony Reader PRS-505, I like using boldface type.  (I almost always
read books in .rtf format which I set to 18 pt bold face using Microsoft
Word.)  This gives me readability greatly superior to paperback books and
many hardbound books.

Elizabeth wrote:
> The idea of a two-page spread on e-books is interesting. I don't know if I
think of it as an
> improvement, but its resemblance to paper books would be a nice thing.
And there's be half
> as much page-turning.

Hummm.  I think I might like the two-page format if the "book" would *lock*
in the flat open position.  That way I wouldn't have to continually shift
the book's position when changing from the left to the right page like we
have to do with paper books.

ED