[LMB] OT: second person singular (was, modes of parental address)

Katherine Collett kcollett at hamilton.edu
Sat Aug 1 01:39:48 BST 2009

On Jul 31, 2009, at 1:58 AM, Markus Baur wrote:

> until recently it was very common in france to adress their parents
> with the fomal "vous" (second person plural) instead of the less
> foraml "tu" (second person singlar) ..
>
> imho (and speaking as a non-native speaker) a proper t-v distiction is
> something missing from modern english 8-)

There's a Facebook group (started by my daughter) called "Bring back
the second person singular!" bemoaning the loss of "thou" in English.
The group is rather inactive--you all could join (just search for its
name on Facebook) and start some discussions, or a language
revolution, or something.

Katherine