[LMB] Wide Green World comments

M. Haller Yamada thefabmadamem at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 5 00:28:06 GMT 2009

Raye brings up the topic of dystopic Westerns, and I say: Oh-ho, so that explains a lot. "The Western" is not really my genre, and I haven't read much at all. A couple of Zane Greys or Louis L'amours that I could have taken or left, and then a little Annie Proulx and some Louise Erdrich (if she counts). These two are on the leading edge of a new kind of Western, I think.

Romance in SF: (-: No, no, not a strong ROMANTIC vein, but the Love Interest has always been a pretty strong . . . theme? plot device? . . . in classic SF, even if the boys didn't really know what to do with the girls. So, I thought it might be a short leap to include a well-done romance in the plot.

Of course, you still need to fulfill the requirements of good SF or good fantasy. And I think you need an exceptional storyteller to juggle plot, science bits, love stories and other human relationships.

I wonder what exactly is the requirements of a good SF work or a good fantasy . . .? For me, both involve a quest, and a logical and rich system of science or magic. (-: I think coming up with a good science system is easy, because you can borrow from real life quite a bit. Magic is tougher, because most people don't do much magic in their everyday lives these days (-:. So, the writer often bases it on old magic that doesn't always resonate with the reader, or make the reader think.

Hmmmm.

Micki

      New Email addresses available on Yahoo!
Hurry before someone else does!