[LMB] OT: [YASID] Historical romance

Michael R N Dolbear little.egret at mrdolbear.freeserve.co.uk
Fri Jan 16 12:12:37 GMT 2009

> From: Peter Granzeau <pgranzeau at cox.net>
> Date: 15 January 2009 20:06

> I read this maybe 30-35 years ago.  I think the scene was late 18th
century; the character was a young man who was a very good swordsman.
Another character who eventually turned out to be an English duke
(yeah--all the historicals have English peers who never actually lived) ;
they come into partial conflict.  Denouement:  the swordsman is female,
playing a pants role; she marries the duke.  Or maybe not.

> Who wrote it, and what was the title?

We need you to dredge up some more details. The locality and whether the
female had brothers, sisters, mother etc. would be good.

I think this plot has been used many times, note that the above outline
fits Shakespere's _Twelth Night_ quite well (Viola marries the Duke but not
an English Duke) !!!

Little Egret