[LMB] OT: Arthur Ransome and Captain Flint's Trunk - Swallows and Amazons

Michael R N Dolbear m.dolbear at lineone.net
Fri Jul 3 01:33:03 BST 2009

Back in October 2004 I recommended to fans of Arthur Ransome's Swallows
and
Amazons series

Arthur Ransome and Captain Flint's Trunk by Christina Hardyment

About the real country that Arthur Ransome transformed for story purposes

"The author even gets out her windsurf board to investigate the original
of
Secret Water."

It was then out of print and difficult to find but I find it was enhanced
and reissued in 2007.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Arthur-Ransome-Captain-Flints-Trunk/dp/071122692X
http://www.amazon.ca/Arthur-Ransome-Captain-Flints-Trunk/dp/071122692X

If you order it used, (Amazon.com only has it that way though of course
the
other  Amazons will mail it to foreign parts), take care you are getting
the 2007 edition ISBN 071122692X

All the Swallows and Amazons series are in print. I would suggest
starting
people in the middle with Winter Holiday or Great Northern.

Back then I also recommended the Windermere Steamboat Museum to those
visiting the English Lake District but they are currently closed for
renovations having obtained a Heritage grant for urgently needed work so
at
present you can't see the original sailing dinghy that became /Swallow/.

Little Egret in Walton-on-Thames.