[LMB] Timeline Issues

Alex Haropulos aharo at erols.com
Mon Jul 6 12:43:30 BST 2009

Francis Turner wrote:
> I think a planet that retains a level of technology would keep the
> second and probably the 60 second minute / 3600 second hour because
> too much engineering uses those measurements of time.

As I recall, Her Ladyship has a reference to a meeting (MEM?) that is
being held at 2530.

As for making clocks match, Nicholas Rosen can likely testify to the
stubborn endurance of dumb units of measurement. When I was part of team
that was looking at automating patent submission and review, we were
given a tour of the place that included the original wooden drawers for
filing applications. They were made to a size once commonly used in the
US based on folio/quarto/octo cuts of the day's master sheet dimensions.

As filings increased, they made more same-size drawers. Since the
growing system had to mix older and newer filings, they stuck with the
original dimensions, despite the fact that paper manufacturing changed
technologies to produce rolls that could be machine-cut. In the process,
sheet dimensions changed. But filing dimensions couldn't change because
of the drawers. And more obsolete-size drawers were being made all the
time...

Recently, everyone got over it and moved to electronic filings.

So maybe, as someone else said, the model sticks until it is _so_ broken
that there is no point in keeping it.

Alex H