[LMB] OT: Chinese male/female ratios, was M/F ratios

Joel Polowin jpolowin at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 8 13:20:42 BST 2009

Louann Miller wrote:
> A fairly recent "Freakonomics" column floated the idea that this is one
> of the causes for China's very high rate of personal savings in banks.
> Families are saving up to make their only sons more appealing marriage
> material. I don't know how much support that idea has.

My interpretation of that would be: "Traditionally, we should be cared
for in our old age by our childrens' families.  It doesn't look like
they're going to *have* families.  So we'd better try to make alternate
arrangements."

It really shouldn't be hard to work out the real reason, in this case,
by doing a survey and asking a sample of Chinese people..?