[LMB] title brainstorm

Peter Granzeau pgranzeau at cox.net
Sat Jul 11 21:19:47 BST 2009

At 06:42 PM 7/10/2009, James Burbidge wrote:
>2009/7/10 Peter Granzeau <pgranzeau at cox.net>:
>> At 11:56 PM 7/9/2009, Anne Guglik wrote:
>>

>>>Temporary Necropoli
>>
>> I would have thought that the plural of "Necropolis" would have been "Necropoles"?
>>
>"Necropoleis", I would think: Greek 3rd rather than Latin 3rd declension.
>
>Certainly not Necropoli, which gets both language and declension wrong.

I are not a classical language scholar.  I figured that the common 'Murrican habit of making the final vowel in words like "necropolis" into a schwa led to false plurals like stewardi, necropoli, or octopi, and I'd seen someplace that the learned plural of octopus is octopodes, so I blue-skied from there.  (The plural of stewardess should have been stewardae, of course.)

--
Regards, Pete
pgranzeau at cox.net