[LMB] OT: AKICOTL: Conversion from videotape to AVI

Ed Burkhead ed at edburkhead.com
Sun Jul 12 16:53:17 BST 2009

Raye,

I do this using a video capture "stick" instead of a circuit board "card"
inside the computer.

My Visiontek ATI TV Wonder 600 HyBrid TV Tuner  High Speed USB captures
analog video that comes on a radio frequency channel, i.e. from an old cable
box or VCR  *or* from an S-video connector.  I cost me about $105 USD.

Mine, sold for use in the U.S. has PAL, I can't find it in the menus but
it's possible it doesn't have it in this model.  I'd fully expect there to
be a similar product made for PAL and sold in Australia.

This is a TV tuner in a little package, a "stick," that's about 7-8 cm long
and a couple of centimeters wide.  Mine has a coaxial cable connector on one
end for the Radio Frequency cable from the VCR or cable box, a USB 2
connector on the other end and a tiny micro-USB connector on the side for
S-video and American composite video inputs.

This tuner takes the analog signal and digitizes it, squirts it along the
high speed USB 2 cable into software in the computer which can either
display it or save it on the hard drive, or both.

Your VCR will have either a Radio Frequency cable connector (for round coax
cable), or a set of audio and video cables or both.  I hope Australia has a
more straight forward set of options than we do in the U.S. - ours grew
gradually as the tech developed and we have a bunch of connector options on
some machines.

You need a video capture card or stick that'll take your local signals, PAL
for your VCR and whatever they send you for broadcast, cable or satellite
for TV viewing.  That should be what's available in your country.

(A few "media center" computers come with video cards that already have
TV/video capture.  These should have connectors on the video card for the
video input.)

Over the last 10 years, I've gone through two or three video capture cards
inside my various computers and tried two video capture sticks.  The stick I
settled on was the one that worked with my Windows Vista 64 bit operating
system.

One way or another, you MUST have hardware circuitry that can take the TV
signal from your input and convert it into a digital file useable by your
computer.

Once it's in the computer, you can edit it with an assortment of video
editing programs and burn a CD or DVD with the video.

Ed