[LMB] CryoBurn it is

Peter Granzeau pgranzeau at cox.net
Thu Jul 23 18:05:37 BST 2009

At 11:27 AM 7/23/2009, paal at gis.net wrote:
>> > From: Jill Tallman <lettuce_in_fl at yahoo.com>
>> >
>> > It is also a band (I guess; you can get an MP3 download and T shirts
>> > at http://www.cafepress.com/cryoburn), a WordPress theme (for
>> > websites), and something to do with gastro-enterology: "The cryoburn
>> > , the lesion of cryotherapy, is recognizable as a white, sharply
>> > demarcated, frozen, patch of tissue" (eww).
>> >
>> > Jill
>> > who likes the title, but thought she heard of it before [brain like
>> > garbage dump]
>> >

>> Me, too, on the thought I heard it before.  Wasn't cryoburns the term
>> used in the early chapters in Mirror Dance for those cryo-revival
>> patients whose brains did not come back properly due to frozen blood
>> patches.  I keep remembering Miles and Elli discussing those two
>> Dendarii revivals and that term spinning in my mind.  Unfortuantely,
>> I'm at work and do not have my copy of MD at hand to reference.  But
>> that association is what kept me from really liking this title.
>
>I dislike "CryoBurn" because I have a strong aversion to capitalization
>in the middle of a word.  It's language abuse and marketing BS....

I, too, dislike the title, as it doesn't seem to match the effect of previous titles in the Vorkosigan series.  I don't know what the story is about, and I forget Lois's original post involving title selections, but if it's about Miles getting a freezer burn, how about "Frozen in Place"?

--
Regards, Pete
pgranzeau at cox.net