[LMB] CryoBurn it is

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Sat Jul 25 23:48:36 BST 2009

On Jul 25, 2009, at 12:37 PM, Peter Granzeau wrote:

>> I'm a long term mainframe CoBOL programmer, so I'm used to upper
>> case.
>
> You have my sympathy (though the lower case "o" stopped me for a
> second).

I enjoy being a good CoBOL programmer.   I do have to maintain bad
code, but bad code can be written in any language.

I use the small letter as a type of affectation.  CoBOL stands for
Common Business Oriented Language.   Where's the capital "O"?

> assume you do it on a terminal now?  I started out with decks of
> cards, myself (and honed my typing skills on an 026 keypunch machine).

I moved to a terminal around 1970.   I think I stopped using physical
terminals in the mid to late 1980s, using PC software emulating
terminals.

> The early languages (ALGOL, FORTRAN, COBOL, JOVIAL, usw.) seemed to
> have used all upper case, whether parts of words or initials, and it
> was only later, with names that were names (Pascal, Ada) that lower
> case became used.
>
> Of course, those early languages were written in upper case, anyway).

*Everything* was in upper case then.   I'm still writing programs that
convert upper case data into mixed case for new databases.