[LMB] OT: Salmonella was, almond cookies?

Claire Nollet cnollet at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 02:32:29 BST 2009

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 9:23 PM, M. Haller Yamada
<thefabmadamem at yahoo.com>wrote:

OK, this is Annoying Voice of Reason vs. The Annoying Scientists of Fear
> post, but . . . first of all, the almond paste under question is meant to be
> baked into cookies.
>
> However, even if you wanted to use raw eggs, the chance of contracting
> salmonella is very slight. <

>huge snip<

I gotta tell you, I've been licking cake batter bowls, and eating little
bits of raw cookie dough (everything made with eggs) since I was a wee
little thing, and in 48 years, I never suffered any ill effects.

Of course, I have my dad's cast iron stomach.  He could eat astonishing
things and never had a tummy ache in his life.  And in grade school, I used
to charge 25 cents to eat raw earthworms on a dare.  I charged more in
college, when I ate canned rattlesnake, canned fried bees, and chocolate
covered ants on bets.  Hey, I had to earn pizza money somehow.

Check your eggs before you buy 'em, and don't buy cracked eggs.  If your
eggs become cracked in the container, don't use 'em.  Go ahead, lick the
cake batter bowl.  Life is too short to worry about every little thing.