[LMB] [OT] modes of parental address (Was CryoBurn)

Katrina Allis k.m.allis at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 08:09:18 BST 2009

2009/7/31 <CatMtn at aol.com>

> In a message dated 7/30/2009 6:05:14 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
> feelie.king at gmail.com writes:
>
> >Mind  you, at secondary school we were expected to address teachers as
> >"Sir"  or "Miss" when not using their full name - is that common in  the
> >states?
>
> So common that when I began teaching I had a very hard time addressing my
> former teachers by their first names---
>
> Mary

I had that issue when I went on placement.

I went to an all-girls high school and there were about three male teachers
on staff.  Unless using Mr/Mrs/Miss Lastname, they all got called Miss.
Even Mr Brown.  I don't think I've ever called someone sir in my life.

I understand that some younger teachers now are using their first names with
their students (and by younger, I mean trained in the last five years and/or
teaching primary school).  It was very strange being called Miss or Miss
Allis by people only five years younger than me, so I understand where
they're coming from.

Katrina - you can call me Miss Allis, Kat or Katrina, but *never* Trina.