[LMB] Community - was - Tagging Kids

Hilary Powers hilary at powersedit.com
Mon Mar 2 18:24:07 GMT 2009

Trialia Xua wrote:
> Given my pre-existing anxiety and my hatred of being watched ... I
> lost a lot of weight in high school and someone in the village spread
> the rumour I had given birth to triplets and had them adopted (quite
> forgetting that they had never seen me date anyone, let alone a
> boy!)... I really hate the small-town mentality in some ways.

You don't need to be in a small town to run into small-town observation
and thought patterns. When I was working in Washington, D.C., the wife
of one of my coworkers got her hair beautifully frosted one morning
before joining her husband for lunch. He later told us that she got a
number of phone calls and anonymous letters warning her that her husband
had been seen hanging out with a blonde bimbo that day....

--
- Hilary Powers - hilary at powersedit.com - Oakland CA -
-  Freelance copyediting and developmental editing   -