[LMB] FW: [stirling] Bujold's Sharing Knife

Raye Johnsen raye_j at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 11 14:32:58 GMT 2009

--- On Wed, 3/11/09, Howard Brazee <howard at brazee.net> wrote:

> On Mar 11, 2009, at 5:32 AM, Natali Vilic wrote:
>
> >> Getting back to Bujold, did anyone see the House
> episode this week
> >> which
> >> had a guy with "Frontal Lobe
> Disinhibition". It was a whole lot like
> >> Miles on fast-penta in Mirror Dance.
>
> I infer "House" must be a TV series.

Yes.  Go here: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_(TV_series)> for more information, but basically: Gregory House is a nasty, short-tempered, manipulative, conniving, misanthropic, handicapped but *utterly brilliant* doctor based at Princeton-Plainsboro Teaching Hospital.  He got into diagnostic medicine because he liked puzzles; that should tell you everything you need to know about his bedside manner.  The TV series (now in its fifth season) follows his daily life as he avoids clinic duty, bullies and educates his team of fellows, attempts to manipulate his boss (with much less success because she's onto him), interacts with his best/only friend and diagnoses the patient of the week.

It's got a lot of good actors, the plots are punchy and the one-liners just keep coming.  I understand that the medical conditions and treatments are accurate too.  On the other hand, if a real hospital had doctors acting the way House and his team does, they'd be out on their arses so fast it wouldn't be funny.

Raye

raye_j at yahoo.com
http://windtear.livejournal.com
http://www.thejohnsens.com/index.html

I believe in dragons, unicorns, good men
and other mythical creatures.