[LMB] OT: The economics of Kindle

B. Ross Ashley redlion at sff.net
Sat Mar 14 15:03:39 GMT 2009

http://tbm.thebigmoney.com/articles/saga/2009/03/04/kindle-revolution?page=0,0

> William A Wenrich

Interesting discussion going on there, especially in light of the Barnes & Noble purchase of Fictionwise.com. A bit of this continues to be confusion of the device with the formats. There is no reason for anybody to be locked in to Kindle's format, when Mobipocket's .prd and Palm's .pdb are free-as-in-beer and .fb2 for FBReader is free-as-in-speech.

If I were a writer, I could self-publish in any of these formats, even encrypting the .prc files ... I think I might have to pay Mobipocket a fee if I sold encrypted .prc files, but I don't know.

--
B. Ross Ashley http://brashley46.livejournal.com http://brashley46.no-ip.info
"It would be too painful to think that there are worlds somewhere