[LMB] SO OT: Stamina and Spring, was Pics of the canal trek, was: BEWARE THE IDES OF MARCH!

Francis Turner francis.turner at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 16:09:26 GMT 2009

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 4:11 PM, Marna Nightingale <marna at marna.ca> wrote:
> Whee, spring fever! What's everyone else doing in the good weather, if
> you have it? (I seem to recollect that in many parts of the Antipodes
> it's just getting to COOL enough for walks and things.)

Well we've been training for marathons and half marathons. And we're
running the Rome Marathon this weekend (and touristing our way there
tomorrow and Friday). I'll post pictures of Rome afterwards but you
can already see the pictures of a couple of our training runs here -
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dirtydingus/3334988725/in/set-289146/

We don't run in our nearby canal - even though the water's out at
present for maintenance - because it's too narrow and the bridges are
too low and the mud is really yucky and there are spots where the
water doesn't manage to drain away completely. I like running
alongside it though because its a nearly flat car-free track but SWMBO
complains that too many dogs like it too and leave little
rememberences behind :(

> Query: having walked +/- 10k and climbed for three hours, for FUN, why
> does one then gretch and moan and carry on as if one were being marched
> at gun point all the way up the two-block hill from the bus stop?

Because your body decided exercise was over and then discovered it
wasn't? And probably you stiffened up in the bus which just makes it
worse.

> Is
> this why the third-floor gym downtown has escalators? (Elevators make
> sense; you don't have to be able to walk to want a gym. But *escalators*?)

I'd always assumed this was an urban legend... photos seem to be required.

--
http://www.di2.nu/blog.htm
Faber's Fourth Law: