[LMB] LQ #54: Bujold popularity (Mon. March 23rd, 2009) - turn it around

Tony Zbaraschuk tonyz at eskimo.com
Tue Mar 24 18:04:05 GMT 2009

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 11:15:35AM -0500, Lois McMaster Bujold wrote:
> Many kind words have been spoken here, for which I thank you.  But turn
> the question around -- what is it in common to the readers that makes
> them relate to these books?  And, perhaps more interesting to me,
> looking at my bewildering range of reviews, what is it in the readers or
> the books or the combo that makes some readers bounce off of them, with
> varying degrees of hard from Ho-hum on to Book-projectile?  (Or is this
> not the crowd to ask for that one?)
>
> In other words, why are some people Bujold readers, and others
> vehemently not?

A hard question to ask on this list, where I doubt you'd find any
_but_ vehement Bujold readers ;)  I don't bounce off anything you
write, so I'm not the best person to ask.

(For C.J. Cherryh, who writes some books I love -- Morgaine, Cyteen --
and some I just bounce off of -- the Foreigner series -- I think it
comes down to "I like some elements of this universe well enough to
put up with her universal habit of overpressured protagonists in a
claustrophobically dense world."  It's the universe, not the style
or the characters, that make the difference.)

Tony Z

--
In the theater of memory every play is an improv
Stored bits remade from piles of scattered stuff --