[LMB] LQ #54: Bujold popularity (Mon. March 23rd, 2009) - > turn it around

Melissa Siah siahmk at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 25 01:40:04 GMT 2009

Tony Zbaraschuk <tonyz at eskimo.com> said:

> A hard question to ask on this list, where I doubt you'd find any
> _but_ vehement Bujold readers ;)  I don't bounce off anything you
> write, so I'm not the best person to ask.

Mmm... I am a vehement Bujold reader. But I bounced hard off Legacy and I had a reasonable dislike of Komarr; both cases were because of the dysfunctional families. Nothing wrong with the stories, it's a personal trigger. Although I have to say that I was so happy that Tien died and that Nikki and Ekaterin escaped the insanity. Not only escaped, but found real loving relationships while facing down physical danger. ACC just reinforced that, of course.

> (For C.J. Cherryh, who writes some books I love -- Morgaine, Cyteen --
> and some I just bounce off of -- the Foreigner series -- I think it
> comes down to "I like some elements of this universe well enough to
> put up with her universal habit of overpressured protagonists in a
> claustrophobically dense world."  It's the universe, not the style
> or the characters, that make the difference.)

Speaking of Cyteen, have you seen Regenesis is out? It's fabulous!

Melissa Siah