[LMB] LQ #51: Komarr

V L'Ecuyer lecuyerv at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 19:48:16 GMT 2009

From: Elizabeth Holden
No, no, he didn't know him better. It was because he was a stranger that
Nikki paid attention. I always loved that bit.

Me:
Miles did not know Nikki better. If he did, he wouldn't have worried about
how much information to feed Nikki in the bathroom before staging a retreat
to let Nikki mull things over. What Miles did have that Ekaterin did not was
1) he looked like a mutant when Nikki was a mutant and a newly-minted one at
that. 2) He never tried to force Nikki into doing anything (like Tien or
Ekaterin) 3) he had already caught Nikki's attention with the
jump-ship-he-gave-away story. All Miles had to do was keep that attention by
not being a Boring Adult Telling Boring Stories. Plus, Miles didn't tell
Nikki what to do. He explained and challenged.  I don't know of a single
child that will not rise to a properly issued challenge.

Victoria