[LMB] OT: Cherryh

Paula Lieberman paal at gis.net
Mon Mar 30 00:37:35 BST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Granzeau" <pgranzeau at cox.net>

> At 09:39 PM 3/27/2009, Andrew Barton wrote:
>
>>Samantha Banker <chame at cox.net>
>><snip>
>>
>>> _40,000 in Gehenna_ was strange, but good.  It's actually referenced in
>>_Cyteen_.  A planet is seeded with azi and a few "bornmen."  The azi
>>alone survive.  As time goes on, the society grows stranger and stranger
>>to "normal" humans. <
>>
>>It's my theory that it's also referred to in the 'Chanur' series.  The
>>humans there have a way of getting through methane-breather space, while
>>none of the locals can communicate well enough to manage this.  Maybe it's
>>the strange humans that acted as intermediaries?
>
> It's been much too long since I read Cherryh novels, but wasn't there
> something about humans couldn't take whatever happened when they make an
> FTL transition between stars, and therefore always drugged down, whereas,
> as I remember, Chanur and her crew didn't have that problem, nor did their
> human (Tully?).  They may have had a different technology.

Um.  Humans -generally needed tranquilizers, and hani, too... there are
exceptions, however--see the fourth Chanur book, and Tripoint, regarding the
exceptions... though in the first Chanur books, I seem to recall that one of
the abuses visited on Tully was putting him through Jump with no medication.