[LMB] Honour [WAS:- Ekaterin]

Paula Lieberman paal at gis.net
Wed Nov 4 17:58:35 GMT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Elizabeth Holden" <azurite at rogers.com>
To: "Discussion of the works of Lois McMaster Bujold."
<lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk>
Sent: Wednesday, November 04, 2009 12:40 PM
Subject: Re: [LMB] Honour [WAS:- Ekaterin]

>> George Vaughan wrote:
>
> GV > > If, in each of those situations, you break the law
> GV > > for your personal advantage, then you have dishonored
> GV > > yourself by breaking the law.
>
> Seems to me this is largely subjective and contextual - many people, like
> conscientious objectors or draft resistors or suffragettes, feel it a
> matter of honour that they must break the law.  They often go to jail for
> their principles.  But laws are broken.
>
> People who have broken laws (in fact and fiction) include Robin Hood,
> George Washington, Giordano Bruno, Louis Riel, Jean Valjean - people
> considered heroes.  Was it to their advantage?  Depends how you define
> 'advantage'.
>
> Howard said:
>
> HB > I find that Righteous people cause quite a bit of the worst
> HB > evils in  this world.    It is interesting that Jesus chose
> HB > to be good over being  Righteous.    But it's so much easier to be
> HB > Right.
>
> I am completely baffled by that sentence which, even though it's written
> in English, doesn't use words I understand.  What differentiation are you
> making between good, Righteous, and Right?  Does that differ from
> righteous and right?  What do you think it's easy to be right?

This thread has stuff in it which is creeping me out--one of them is having
to -think- about Ekaterin in terms of "because she bought into the values
and attitudes of the society she was raised in AND KEPT THOSE VALUES, she
acceded to life in a bad marriage."  OUCH!    Just reading the book I didn't
have that explictly in my face and conditioning me.  Yes, I was aware that
she had an investment and buy-in to Barrayaran mores and values, and was
keeping them, and looked like a candidate for the role of Lady Vorkosigan
provided Tien went out an exit door in some fashion, but....