[LMB] military divorce, was Ekaterin

Claire Nollet cnollet at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 01:25:24 GMT 2009

On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 5:38 PM, mtraber251 <mtraber251 at earthlink.net> wrote:

> I guess I am Vor ...<snip>
>

> 20 years of substandard income, substandard medical treatment,
> substandard living arrangements in many ways. I could have divorced him
> and married a civillian or an officer [Junior hubby was a major in the
> German army when I met him almost 10 years ago]
>
> Is it worth it? I don't know. I have a husband, a decent home that is
> pretty minimal by most peoples standards. No bank account or savings
> [spousal jobs are hard to find around here. I had to travel 50 miles to
> get one, and still got laid off. <snip>

We were a Marine Corps family for 20 years.  I can totally relate.  Dad
retired when I was about 2, but I've heard all the stories from my mom and
older sibs about the housing, etc.  Also, during my entire childhood, when
dad was working as an independent contractor/consultant (using the Master's
he got in electrical engineering from MIT that the Corps paid for), money
was pretty tight, then, too, until I was about 12.

Be proud.  You served your country every bit as much as your husband, every
bit as much as my mom.