[LMB] Honour [WAS:- Ekaterin]

Mitch Miller mitchmiller at entertainmenttax.com
Thu Nov 5 02:29:12 GMT 2009

From: Howard Brazee <howard at brazee.net>

/////
But we have seen lots of cases of people starting wars, inquisitions,
and laws against people who don't think like they do.    In fact,
these days - most wars seem to be waged by Righteous people, and
inquisitions have always been waged by Righteous people.

Tolerant people aren't so willing to commit such evils.
/////
I've never understood this tolerance business.  Are we supposed to tolerate
the intolerable?  We didn't, thank God, tolerate the Germans and the Japanese
massacring millions of people and trying to take over the world.  Should we
tolerate Darfur?  Mugabe?  Kim Il-Jong?  Achmidinajab(sp)?

Reminds me of the famous story about General Sir Charles James Napier, commander-in-chief
Of the British Indian Army and conqueror of Sind, who was approached by some Hindu
elders protesting his prohibition of suttee, the burning alive of widows; after all,
it was their custom and he was supposed to respect their customs.  His reply was,
"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom:
when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build
your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your
custom. And then we will follow ours."

Now, that's my kind of tolerance!

Mitch Miller