[LMB] OT: belonging, options, was Ekaterin

Claire Nollet cnollet at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 03:29:18 GMT 2009

On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 10:16 PM, Katherine Collett <kcollett at hamilton.edu>wrote:

> On Nov 4, 2009, at 9:51 PM, Claire Nollet wrote:
> >>
> >> Wow!  I gotta look into this.  I might be able to have my Communion
> >> wafer
> >> and eat it, too (or something less sacrilegious, but you catch my
> >> drift).
> >> Thanks so much!
> >>

> > Rats!  No parishes in Western NY.  I'll email 'em anyway.  They
> > might have
> > other suggestions.  Thanks anyway, though.
>
> Well, you could go back to your first suggestion and try the Episcopal
> Church--pretty much that whole list applies to us, too (and about that
> splintering--it's unfortunate, but those breaking away are only a
> small fraction of the nationwide church).  I'm going to the Central NY
> Diocesan Convention in two weeks (as a choir member); let me know if
> you want me to ask around about good parishes in western NY.
>
> Katherine

Hey, that would be great if you could.  This is something I've been building
to for years, and it's been very hard for me.

I mean, I disagreed with the last Pope on a lot of things, but he was still
like a second father to me.  When he died a couple of years after my dad
died, I really felt bereft.

And my brother with Down syndrome just LOVED going to Mass.  As he got
frailer and frailer (Alzheimer's, strokes, non-healing broken leg), going to
church with me and his buddies from the group home was the high point of his
week, and you could see how the much-loved rituals could still reach into
his fading mind and comfort him.