[LMB] Ekaterin

Judy R Johnson jrj at fidalgo.net
Fri Nov 6 04:01:57 GMT 2009

 From: "Paula Lieberman" <paal at gis.net>
Sent: Wednesday, November 04, 2009 7:34 AM
To: "Discussion of the works of Lois McMaster Bujold."
<lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [LMB] Ekaterin

----- Original Message -----
From: "mtraber251" <mtraber251 at earthlink.net>
To: "Discussion of the works of Lois McMaster Bujold."
<lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk>
Sent: Wednesday, November 04, 2009 9:33 AM

<mtraber251 at earthlink.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>> ... What is the phrase, grace and humility? No I don't think
>>
>> "Grace and favour", Marilyn.
>>
> Thank you! I knew it was something like that =) I just couldn't remember
> the exact phrase and had no idea how to actually look it up.
>
> I find that I sort of miss the old social network conventions like this.
> People took care of their own. of course if you are out of a social
> network now, there is at least welfare and medicare...

"Paula Lieberman"
That depends... the "old social network conventions" "took care of me," oh

sure -- it subjected me to eleven years of physical and emotional abuse.
Ptui on that. And somehow I don't think that the victim of Prince Serg and

Ges Vorrutyer and Richar would have agreed about the good deal they were
getting out of the social contracts on Barrayar....

==============================
NEW -- JRJ>The "old social network conventions" were not a "no sparrow
shall fall" sure thing, but when/where they did work, they were kinda nice.
 Remember the group conversation in Sayers' "Gaudy Night" where the college
administrators carefully considered the needs of all their dependents and
worked out a strategy to help everybody?  A utopian episode in that piece
of fiction, and of course dystopia is more likely in unmitigated real life.
 Networking by Gov't is a crude substitute, but the best we're likely to
get.

Entwife Judy
Who, as mentioned before, enjoys inhabiting that kind of world by reading
about it.
...And ignores the very real possibility that Sayers' good ladies would
have disdained her as being one of the "unworthy poor"