[LMB] LQ #77: Changing characters

Paula Lieberman paal at gis.net
Mon Nov 16 21:57:27 GMT 2009

You ignored the fact that I wrote that I was basing what I was saying on my
memory, which I also indication might be unreliable on the
subject!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The "honor" component did NOT stick in my head, assuming that it is there in
the first place.... which also speaks to what people -remember- and -notice-
in books.  Ekaterin in the book was not someone who excited my reading
interest as a character on her own behalf.  I saw that it looked like she
was being set up as the future Lady Vorkosigan, the True Vor
Dedicated-to-Barrayar-and-Someone-Who-Would-Be-Fulfilled-
in-the-Role-of-Barrayaran-Society-Matriarch  (in the sense of a woman who is
of and a leader in the society she lives in, starting in a
wife/mother/supporting distaff role, as a married woman... I admit to all
sorts of triggers points about such things.  Reading Regency romance novels
it doesn't bother me so much, because that did not belong to a Nexus
Universe where there were options for women to go out into the Nexus and
achieve in areas other than the domestic front in their own right, as
opposed to marrying up and taking on prestige based on their husbands'
social place.... for that matter, there were women in Regency England and
Georgian England who achieved position and/or wealth through their own
efforts and whose families benefitted commensurately.... there were for
example the likes of the elder Lady Jersey and Lady Hertford, who by being
mistresses of the future George IV enhanced their social position and
wealth--though that was not the politest thing to discuss....