[LMB] OT: Robin Hobb (Farseer Trilogy)

Carol Cooper carolcooper at shaw.ca
Sat Oct 3 16:48:32 BST 2009

> kerry weisselberg wrote:
> > I know many of us are always looking for book recommendations while we
> wait
> > for Her Ladyship's latest.
> > I picked up Assassin's Apprentice (first of the Farseer Trilogy) in a
> > 2nd-hand shop a few weeks ago, as the cover was very pretty and the back
> > blurb interesting, so worth a try! [...]
> > Has anyone else read these? I'd never heard of her before.

Hmm - looks like I'm on my own here, but I really like Robin Hobb's work.  I
loved the Farseer Trilogy and also the sequel trilogy.  She often gets
criticized because her protagonists often act stupidly and fail to fit the
standard heroic mold (I've seen the same criticism of Fitz from the Farseer
books and of Nevarre from the Soldier Son trilogy) but personally I see that
as one of her strengths - they behave like real people.  Her
characterization is one of her strengths, and her heroes are always flawed,
and go through significant growth over the course of the story. Their
initial daft behaviour usually stems from their upbringing and part of their
journey is learning to be themselves rather than blindly fitting the roles
other people have ordained for them. Her world-building is also sound.  The
only time I got seriously cross with her was at the end of the Farseer
trilogy, where Fitz was left in a situation which most of Hobb's readers
found deeply unsatisfying - but she more than made up for that in the
follow-up 'Fool' trilogy. She's one of the authors whose books I'll buy
without question.
Carol