[LMB] LQ #71: A Civil Campaign (Fri. Oct. 9th, 2009)

Elizabeth Holden azurite at rogers.com
Sat Oct 10 02:57:52 BST 2009

The question:

> Do you like or dislike the book _A
> Civil Campaign: A Comedy of Biology
> and Manners_ and why or why not?

I love it. I think.

But for some reason I've never been able to read it a second time. I have reread the rest of the Vorkosigan books numerous times, but even when I'm reading them all in order I come to a dead halt at A Civil Campaign.  I don't often try that, though - I'm more likely to read the books in random order.

I don't know why.

Things I loved about it:

- the echoes of regency romance, especially the comedy of manners bit
- the humour, especially the dinner scene
- the return of Aral and Cordelia
- the role of Gregor
- the sex change inheritance
- the minor character
- Miles, Miles and Miles
- the successful courtship, which is almost but not quite like something else - a scam, a seduction, a battle (of wits?)
- butterbugs
- Ivan

Things I didn't like about it:

- Mark and Kareen
- the scientist - I forget his name - Enrique? He annoyed me.

namaste,
Elizabeth