[LMB] OT: report on my results of the recipe for killer chocolate stuff with the density of plutonium, a'la Selene

Natali Vilić natali.vilic at zd.t-com.hr
Sat Oct 17 00:34:06 BST 2009

On Saturday, October 17, 2009 12:58 AM, Susan Fox wrote:
>Natali writes:
>

>>The caster sugar did not dissolve  :(
>
>Sometimes it does not dissolve well, eat it anyway.  Was it too cold?
>
>The rest of this looks like the kind of improvisational brilliance that led
to the invention of English Trifle.  Amaretto is my favorite, which you
>probably did not know.  I would be so easy to poison, being fond of the
bitter almond taste!

>>Would it be OK to try powdered sugar? Or is it
>>one of those cases when it is absolutely unadvisable
>>to use powdered sugar instead of caster sugar?
>
>The "powdered sugar" one gets in the USA is often mixed with cornstarch for
a silky texture.  Not so good for confectionary chemistry however.  If your
>powdered sugar is strictly 100% sugar, go for it!
>
>Bon Appetit and thanks for the other recipes by the way,
>Susan Fox / Ma Foxti
>selene at earthlink.net

Of course we eat it! To not eat something made
of chocolate, what an idea :)
It has dissolved later, in the cake, although
not entirely. It crunches a bit, but what the heck.
When I come to think of it, it was a bit colder
in the kitchen - still seems a bit early to heat,
but the weather turned suddenly quite chilling.
And I was preparing it in the afternoon, when there
was nothing cooking on the stove.
Powdered sugar here contains Silicium dioxide in traces
but no starch. Still, it is not good for making meringues,
the egg whites just go fluid.
Maybe I could grind the caster sugar a bit, or dissolve
it first in... amaretto? :D

Natali