[LMB] OT: AKICOTL - siding

Jane Starr jane at starchak.ca
Sun Sep 6 01:31:33 BST 2009

Quoting Harimad <harimad2001 at yahoo.com>:

> Hey everybody, I need some help.  I need to replace siding (current
> stuff looks like particle board) and wood trim on my house.  What
> product do you suggest?  Have you used it, or even installed  it?
> What are the disadvantages?

Hardie fibre-cement products- hardieplank, hardiepanel, hardiesoffit,
hardietrim.  See http://www.jameshardie.com/
Non-combustible, hurricane resistant, designed to last for up to 50
years against cracking, rotting, hail damage, termites, etc.

We have wood siding on the house and hardieplank on the garage. The
hardieplank siding was bought primed but not painted and my husband
installed it. We painted it when we put it up (about 10 years ago) and
it has never needed any attention since. Looks as good as the day we
painted it. The house has been painted twice in that time and needs it
again (badly).

At least 2 of our neighbours have installed hardieplank on house or
garage and both chose the pre-coloured type. It looks fantastic. Both
are reasonably handy and installed the siding themselves so I don't
see why a contractor would have any problem with it.

In a few years we'll be replacing the upstairs windows and will at
that time replace the wood siding on the house with hardiplank as well.

Jane